CHANDIGARH INSTITUTE OF HOTEL MANAGEMENT & CATERING TECHNOLOGY (CIHM)
Sponsored by : Govt. of India & Chandigarh Administration
Affiliated to The National Council for Hotel Management , Ministry of Tourism, Govt. of India.
Earlier known as The Food Craft Institute, it was set up in February 1973 in the Hostel Complex of Chandigarh Polytechnic College in sector-26 with an intake of 18 students in each program to fulfill the need of providing trained personnel for the hotels and other related fields as also to popularize wholesome foods with a view to the diversification of the ordinary Indian diet. The Food Craft Institute, Chandigarh was upgraded to Chandigarh Institute of Hotel Management & Catering Technology w.e.f. academic year 2006-07. The Chandigarh Institute of Hotel management is an autonomous body, a society registered under the Registration of Societies Act 1860 and as amended by Punjab Act 1957 on date 25th Feb 1972 with the registered office of the society within the campus of the Institute.
The Institute and the Training Hotel Chandigarh Beckons is being managed by the BOARD OF GOVERNORS with SECRETARY TOURISM, CHANDIGARH ADMINISTRATION as its Ex Officio CHAIRMAN.
The following Courses are offered :-
B.Sc. in Hotel & Hospitality Administration (3 yrs. Degree Program) : 60 SEATS
One and a half yr. Diploma Programs in :
1. Front Office : 35 SEATS
- Food & Beverage Service: 70 SEATS
- Housekeeping : 35 SEATS
- Food Production : 70 SEATS
- Bakery & Confectionery: 30 SEATS
We aim to provide better and brighter avenues for our students by improving style, quality and content of training.
- The up gradation of this institute is a great achievement in itself and it will bring in the level of trained manpower for tourism, hotels and the hospitality industry.
- The number of seats in the degree program have been increased from 40 to 60 w.e.f 2011-12
- Hotel Chandigarh Beckons — the training hotel unit attached to the institute is one of its kind in India and provides a platform for the students to excel in practical aspect of training.
- Institute is one of the 3 production centers for producing Cooked Mid Day Meal for the primary class students of the UT Schools.
- Hunar se Rozgaar – the skill development program sponsored by Ministry of Tourism Govt. Of India has been successfully implemented and over 350 deserving students have received kitchen training under this scheme.
- The Institute is actively involved in Chandigarh Tourism Department’s activities from time to time.
- Institute has Faculty strength of 18 including the Principal.
- Well equipped Library with over 3500 Titles and several hotel and Hospitality Journals.
- Professional activities are organized like salad competition, cake decoration, rangoli making, cocktail and mocktail making, food festivals and flower arrangement.
- Social activities are also organized : Blood donation camp, Eye donation camp, dental camp, and AIDS Awareness camp.
- Sports activities like : volleyball, badminton , table tennis and carom competitions. Annual sports day is also organized .
- Guest lectures are held every week where professionals from various Hotels and related industry speak to students and interact.
- Alumni association of the Institute also organizes various events for students.
- Industrial exposure tours to various hotels, bakeries, biscuit manufacturing units and breweries are also organized for students to see actual operations.
- 3 Professional Kitchens for Advanced , quantity and Basic food production training.
- Well equipped Bakery section for product baking.
- 300 seater Auditorium.
- Class rooms with audio visual learning systems.
- Housekeeping lab with modern laundry machines.
- On the job Front Office exposure